Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day of thanks #17

Today I am thankful that I am an independent woman. This is something that I had to learn to do (even thought i had a great role model in my mother). I believe I used to be very co-dependent, especially with Patrick. When you love someone, it is easy to wrap yourself up in that relationship and lose your own independence. BUT, I knew Patrick fell in love with the independent Kelly so I really searched hard to find her again (this was all back while dating).

It has been great ever since! Especially once I had kids! And especially since Patrick is in a job that required him to be gone a lot during residency and to be on-call (not allowed to leave a certain radius) a lot. Of course I wish Patrick were able to do all the fun things that I get to do with the kids. But, I am also strong enough to do things without him if needed. I saw many friends struggle with this during residency...some even resulting in divorce. I think it gave Patrick a breath of relief knowing that if I wanted to go somewhere - and he couldn't - I would still go. I didn't stop living my life if he was busy.

As I said before, I would love it if Patrick was there with us all the time. But days like yesterday when it was the perfect chance to go to Disneyland but he couldn't go...I wasn't going to let it stop the kids and I from going. Some people don't always get this...they want to share every single moment with their spouse (and I do too - but I know it is impossible with his job). It works for us, and I am so grateful for it.

No comments: