Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hamburger Soup


Since we were going to get snowed in this weekend, I asked Patrick what type of soup he wanted me to make in the crock pot (since it would make the house feel warm and cozy during the snow storm). He replied "Hamburger Soup". I thought he was joking as I had never heard of this. But, I called his mom and lo-and-behold, there is a real recipe named hamburger soup. It turned out quite yummy - so I thought I'd share it with you too! It looks sort of gross - but is really good!



1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef (or Turkey) - browned and drained
4 C chicken broth
2 C water
1 C chopped celery (you can leave some celery leaves in the soup for extra flavor)
1 C chopped carrots
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 TBSP soy sauce
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
1 C Macaroni Elbow Pasta (put in the soup mix with 1 hour left to cook)

Cook on low for 8-10 hrs. ***I needed to add about 3 more cups of water after the noodles were added***

This soup melts in your mouth! You could probably add more flavoring if you want - but I liked it just the way it was!

2 comments:

The Christensens said...

This soup is really good. It really does melt in your mouth which was great for me last night and today. Thanks guys for the soup.

WineLover said...

This looks like just what I need for my mouth full of braces...thanks for sharing the recipe!