Sunday, August 22, 2010

what a difference a day makes!

WOWZA! Today was much hotter and much more crowded at the Friendship Festival. We steered clear if it for most of the day, but Patrick was scheduled to work in the medical tent from 2-7. He texted me when he got there and said it was CRAZY! He said it was sooooo much hotter than saturday, which caused massive amounts of dehydration and heat related illnesses. And he also said it was sooooo much more crowded! Then I remembered (like I stated in a previous post) that the Japanese work 6 days a week - so Sunday is really their only day off.

Since Patrick was working, I decided to take the kids to go see Toy Story 3 (again) at the base theater. It is only 3 blocks from our house (everything is really so close!!!) so we went. I cried (again) and the kids loved it (again). When we walked out, the shuttle bus to go to the festival was right there, so the kids begged me to go over again. I thought it would be fun to see Patrick so I agreed.

This time I made the kids hold hand super tight. There were people everywhere...it was like walking through water. We found the medical tent and luckily Patrick was there and not cruising on the golf carts through the crowds. It was starting to get dark (which in Japan happens very quickly and also means that the bugs are about to come out) so we basically said hi and bye. I think it cheered him up to see us...so it was worth it!

Tomorrow is an exciting day for us! We are taking Evie to sign up for preschool. I had the hardest time deciding which one to choose (there were 2 I really liked) so I let her choose. The one she likes is Montessori based - and a huge school very much like Gavin's was last year. All preschool classes. About 600 kids. There are a few other Yokota kids - and their parents LOVE it. So I feel good about the choice. Keep your fingers crossed!

Tomorrow also starts 72 hours of h-e-double hockey sticks too. They are shutting off our hot water to clean asbestos out of the pipes. Yikes and yikes. I guess we will have to go to the local pool to shower off. Oh well...I shouldn't complain when there are men and women all around that get deployed into the desert. So a few days without hot water can't be too bad, right?

No comments: