Friday, January 15, 2010

quiet time

I am typing this on a friday night...my husband just got paged in (again) but I am strangely comfortable with it. Sometimes it is nice to have an unexpected evening of quiet time for myself. Tonight, my head is spinning though. We finally sat down with a financial planner/advisor to start thinking about our future. IRAs? 529s? When did we become those people that need this?

It also starts making me think about how our time here in Columbus is rapidly coming to an end. We have been here for over 4 1/2 years and have less than 6 months remaining. Should we sell our house, even though we will take a hit due to the economy? Or should we rent it to people we know for a few years in hopes the market will pick up? If we sell now, we may lose some money - but we get back most of the 20% deposit. If we rent, we get the tax breaks. Sell, be over it and move on altogether. Rent, have a reason to come back once and a while to visit.

As frustrating as it is to not know where we will be stationed, it is also kind of cool. I mean, we HAVE to look at it as an adventure. It FORCES us to be flexible and open to seeing new places and meeting new people. It would be so easy to grow roots in Ohio. I love our little house (although I wish there was one more closet and one more bathroom sink in the master), I love our neighbors and neighborhood, and I love the school system we are in. I had a doctor appointment today (my annual lady doctor visit) and my OB and I cried as I left the office. I love my OB so much I cried because she won't be my doctor anymore and she is so personable and close to patients that she cried too. The kids pediatricians - who are amazing - won't be there for us after June. Hair dressers, babysitters, doctors, dentists, house cleaners...all these people who I have developed relationships with will be left in Ohio when we move. And don't even get me started about my friends, or God forbid, my kids' friends.

I don't say it much, but anyone who knows me knows how important the Advocates (wives' club) and our playgroup have meant to us. And the thought of leaving here, even though I will keep in touch with most, is truly devastating to me. These women and kids are like my own personal "war buddies". If you watch "Scrubs" you will know what I am talking about... "When you spend the hardest time in your life with a group of people, you're bonded forever." I will always remember each and every person that touched our lives during this time.

picture by jreshenroder

Ok Ok...enough sappy for now. I am going to go take a bubble bath and enjoy the rest of my quiet time.

3 comments:

I am Laura said...

Transitional times are so hard. I had a hard time leaving Columbus too. I am not feeling so sad about Fort Wayne, but it hasn't been as wonderful as Columbus was to us. Good luck with everything. I can't wait to find out where you will be next. Hey, if you don't sell your house, I was just talking to a friend who is moving there for her husband to do a fellowship at Riverside. They will be looking to rent at the time you are looking to move so that could maybe even work out. Good luck. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

WineLover said...

I admire you for being able to look at the moving as adventures. I don't think I could do it. You will settle in and make great friends where ever you go. We will miss you guys tons and I'm not looking forward to watching you go - but if it's someplace with wine, you'll see us soon ;)

Anonymous said...

Leaving Columbus was my hardest move so far. I literally ache when I think about all of you guys back there and I see the kids pull their invisible friends, "Brenna, Ava, Gavin, Sam, Hannah, (and the list goes on) out of their pockets and pretend that they are here for playgroups. So hard. But I'm sure your next adventure will be grand. =) We miss you war buddy!