Monday, January 18, 2010

A big week of changes


Gavin in his big boy seat

Gavin waiting while Evie got her hair cut


Before


During


After

My kids are growing up. I know it is inevitable - but it is so easy to try to hold on. This week, we did a LOT of milestone reaching.

First, we converted Gavin's car seat from a 5-point harness to a high-back booster. He was perfectly content in the 5-point, until we bought a spare booster to keep in Patrick's car and he realized how much "cooler" it was, so he wanted the one in mine to have the seat belt "that goes down like a hill". Luckily, my girlfriend Jessica is a car seat nut (aka technician) and came over to help properly convert it and install it. She also made Gavin listen to ground rules and promise to abide by them (since we all know that kids won't listen to their own mom - so it was best this way).

Second, I have been doing my quarterly cleaning of the closets. On of my friends, Keren, is going on another mission trip to Honduras and is taking as many clothes as possible for the families there. In the past, I have passed down the kids' clothes to other friends - in hopes that one day we may need them again (although we have no intentions on it, it was nice to know they would be around if we wanted them) - but this time, the clothes will be in a different country!!!! It's a bit sad to see some of my favorite outfits go - but I know they will be going to a good cause.

And most recently, today we took Evelyn to get her first hair cut. She has the MOST beautiful hair, so I have been very hesitant to do anything to it for fear of changing it's texture, fullness, etc. But the ends were starting to get straggly and she was starting to chew on it (yuck, I know) so I decided it was time. We go to Cookie Cutters, a national chain, that is great for little kids. Gavin has been going for years, so Evie is used to the environment. We always go to the same person (Wendy) so Evie was really excited that she would be able to sit in the cool car and watch a DVD while Miss Wendy cut her hair. Well, she must have been REALLY excited...because as soon as she sat in the chair and Miss Wendy spritzed her hair with water...she peed herself. I didn't even know until we were getting in the car and I realized she was wet. I asked her what happened and she said "I peeped when she sprayed me". Oops!!! But, hey, her hair looks great!

I am also taking the door knob cover off of her door. She is finally good enough to be trusted (a little bit) to go in and out of her room as she needs. This is huge - since containing her was about my only option in discipline. Please send good thoughts our way that she will not tear our house to shreds while we sleep!

No comments: