Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Self Inflicted Frenulumectomy

Ok - I know that is a weird title for this blog but once you read it - you'll understand. Thins morning Evie was walking towards me in the bathroom when she started to teeter. She fell in a downward dog position (on hands and feet) but then continued to topple. Her arms got pinned underneath her and her head smashed right into our tile bathroom floor. It didn't look like a big deal so I was like "You're ok, You're ok". But then when she started to cry, large amounts of blood started flowing from her mouth. So now I am screaming, "Oh, Sh*t!". I grab her to try to figure out what is wrong but she is obviously not letting me - plus there is too much blood to see much. I take her downstairs, page Patrick and try to get her to suck some ice or a teething ring, etc to keep the swelling down. She settled down quickly but I could still not see much in there. Her teeth were not knocked out but there was a bloody clump of tissue/gum/yuck that was jammed between her teeth. I didn't know if it was serious or not so I called my friend's Pediatric Dentist and got an appointment right away!

Turns out Evelyn tore her frenulum - that stringy tissue thing that attaches at your gum lin and you lips. Hers was down further than most people and would have probably need a frenulumectomy anyway soon to avoid a gap in her teeth. So the dentist said she saved us money and just did it herself!!! The dentist (Dr. JoJo - who was great - thanks Leah for the recommendation) scraped away the gunk and made her tear a clean cut. She is still able to eat and drink - but is a little sore. Her pacifier was in - so that probably saved her teeth. Who would've thought that a pacifier would be good for their teeth one day?

On another bummer note - Gavin was at the doctors a bunch yesterday because he came down with bronchiolitis and needed breathing treatments as he was gasping for breaths. He is much better now - but we are ready to be injury and sick free!!!

2 comments: