Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th of July!





Patrick started his first call shift this morning over at Children's. He didn't get home until just before 8 last night and was asleep by 9 (as were the kids). There is a huge festival called red, white and boom in downtown Columbus - but I knew there was no way we would make it with all of them being so tired -so I stayed up until 10:15 to watch some of it (on tv and in my yard) - but fell asleep even before the fireworks display was over. So this morning I felt a little more patriotic and decided to take the kiddies to the local parade.

My neighbor, Angie, and her 3 girls (Kelly, McKenna and Camille) headed out just in time before they closed down the roads and got a great spot for parking and found our friend Leah and her family and sat with them. The anticipation of the parade was very exciting - I wish I could say the same about the parade itself. Unfortunately, it was 2 HOURS long! Way too long for the kids. But we were stuck in it! Luckily, Gavin was in a pretty chill mood and Evie slept in her stroller for most of it. The candy helped occupy the kids but soon enough you could hear them telling their moms, "Mommy, my belly hurts". Yeah, no crap. That's what 6 lollipops, 14 tootsie rolls, 4 lemonheads, 2 packs of smarties and 10 sticks of gum will do to ya! I'm just kidding around - but it was cute to see them eat all that candy! Again, lucky for me Gavin was chilled and didn't rush after or care for the candy too much. I brought a few lollipops (as I always do) and just let him have 2 of those. The parade was fun for the first 1/2 hour but then it was just the same old thing. But it felt good to be surrounded by so many people in red, white and blue and to see some veterans and how happy they were to see the kids so excited! We are not going to any picnics or parties today and will be asleep before fireworks tonight since Patrick won't be home and the kids haven't had an afternoon nap. But we will honor the troops supporting our freedom and thank all that have served our country in the past!

Oh, yeah...Evelyn is standing up/pulling up on her own now and is cruising around holding onto things. I hope she doesn't start walking any time soon - I am NOT ready for two kids that can run away from me!!!

No comments: